March 8, 2016

WATER TEST RESULTS

I use the Fresh Water Master Test Kit for my water tests. It's a super handy kit, with clear concise directions and comes with everything you need to preform the proper tests. I'm not sure why but there are 5 test and it only comes with 4 test tubes. I also added a syringe to fill the test tubes with. It's neat, clean and accurate.

After I do my water changes I then do my water tests. Today was the first time one of my tests wasn't good. I test 5 different parameters which are PH levels, high and low, ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates. My 60 gallon aquarium failed 2 of those tests - Nitrite and Ammonia levels are way too high.

These two tests are related. Nitrites slowly build up for a few different reasons. You may have too many fish, your filtration system isn't handling the load put on it, simply over feeding or you may have destroyed beneficial bacteria through too aggressive a water change or too much cleaning. An increase in nitrite happens when waste from fish, plants and foods break down and release ammonia. This ammonia is deadly to fish and must be converted into nitrite by healthy bacteria.
Nitrite is also harmful to fish so it must be converted into Nitrate which isn't quite as harmful and can help algae and even plants grow. Too much isn't good if it isn't getting used up quick enough.

I did everything I could to rectify this issue. I even put the dirty filters back in, added salt, Safe and StressZyme to increase good bacteria. Now I'll be doing 20% water changes daily for the next week or more depending on how my test turn out.

Right now my Cichlids look great, active and healthy but I'm still worried.