March 29, 2016

AQUARIUM RE-SEALING PROCESS

Last week I had to deal with the mess of my 40 gallon grow-out tank leaking. Of course it was the middle of the night when hubby was answering a bladder call that he noticed the tank was 2/3's empty.

Today I decided to tackle stripping the sealant and cleaning it up - preparing it for re-sealing. I belong to a couple different aquarium enthusiasts groups where I get wonderful advice on just such a project.

Getting my tools laid out and of course my helper Finn I was ready to begin. My scraper tool, vinegar/water bottle, paper towels, dustpan and whisk completed my
list.

I began by using a blade and scraping all the old sealant off. I also removed the top and bottom frames of the tank and stripped it as clean as I could. Once it was stripped I washed the tank out with vinegar water. I dried it as best as I could and now I'll let it continue to dry completely for a couple days before I re-seal the aquarium.

I glad this is just a grow-out tank and not one of my good display tanks as this is a first time re-sealing an aquarium for me and I am not quite as fussy if I make a mistake or two. As long as the seal is good I'll be happy. I think if it were one of my bigger display tanks then I would look into getting it done professionally or at least get someone who knows more than I do about the process.



No comments: