March 18, 2016

NEW 75 GALLON TANK UP AND RUNNING

It took me most of the day to get my 60 gallon tank disassembled and set the 75 up. I used most of the water from the 60 so it was already cycled. After I had the hard-scape set up I added the substrate. I used 50 lbs. of pool filter silica sand. Washing the sand took me about an hour. Once the sand was in, I began filling the tank. I had all these pails filled with water from the 60. I left the Cichlids in that tank while I set up the new one. I used the same hard-scape rocks for the new tank plus a few I collected earlier today. After the tank was full I hooked up my HOT filters, heater, pump and let it run a bit while I vented the Cichlids.

I only vented the bigger ones as I can see them better. It seems I have a few more females than I initially thought. Eventually I'd like to have only males in my tank. My females are breeding too often. I have too many fry growing out and no tanks left for isolation or brooding. If the females spawn they will have them in the community tank. Just hours after having the Cichlids in their new home there were a couple males already doing their shaky dance.

I'm finished and I'm so happy! The Cichlids are happy too. Now it's time to relax! Oh, I have to thank my hubby for cutting the tank lids for me. Its a snug fit but it looks great. Hubby has always made my tank lids from 1/4" plexi-glass. I ran down to the hardware store and bought a couple little knobs that I glued on.

Here's the big reveal!!


No comments: