March 28, 2016

DAILY OBSERVATIONS

Today is water-change Monday in my house. I did a little more then just water changes. I began with my 75 gallon African Cichlid community tank. Once the water was changed I put my tank boss (Bubba) back into the community tank. I observed him for a bit. He stayed darkly coloured and hid in the corner. I was crossing my fingers and set off to do the next water-change.

I did a mini water-change on my 55 gallon tank because it was hardly used. Bubba had been occupying that tank for his time-out along with a couple plecos and a bristle nose catfish. It was a nice quick change.

I had been contemplating what to do with my 55 and today decided I would move my 1.5" Red Top Zebra fry into it. There are over 60 in this brood and quickly out-growing my 20 gallon fry tank. It was sitting empty so I figured I may as well put it to use. Besides, I have another couple moms holding and will be needing my smaller tanks soon.

Continuing on with my water-changes I did my brooding tank so it's ready to move the first mom over. I'll be moving her in another week. I like to move them at the 7-10 day mark. I cleaned out the 20 gallon fry grow-out tank and left it empty for now. My next brood won't need to be moved for another couple to three weeks. In that group of fry I have more Red Top Zebras and about a dozen Auratus ( Golden Cichlids).

After completing my five water-changes of the day I went down to check on Bubba. He has coloured up some but now he's sporting a number of bite marks and missing a bunch of scales. As far as I can tell he has not succeeded in de-throning the new tank boss. He's another Red Top Zebra - actually when the two of them are apart it's hard to tell one from the other. Bubba continues to hang around up in the corner licking his wounds. I'm hoping he'll settle but re-homing is certainly still an option. Time will tell.

No comments: