April 10, 2016

WHEELING AND DEALING

I had a good day today. I had a couple coming for Red Top Zebra fry. They were looking to re-home a pair of Jewel Cichlids and wanted some fry so we did a swap. I took the Jewels and gave him 1/2 a dozen Red Top fry. I also had two batches of gravel washed and ready for sale. He took one of those off of my hands as well.


A few hours later I had another couple come for fry and they took the other batch of aquarium gravel. It's always a good feeling when you get rid of stuff you no longer need and someone else can make good use of.

I had the blue gravel laying around for quite a while. I had used it in my tropical fish tank but I didn't like it with my Cichlids.

I first tried fine sand in my Cichlid tank. I loved the look of it but it caused me problems with my HOB filters causing them to make a grinding noise because they would suck up the fine particals of sand. I switched it out for the natural gravel. I used that for a few months but really wanted that beautiful white sand look. I tried different coarser sands but they were pretty expensive to do a big tank. Finally I tried pool filter silica sand. It took me a long time and elbow grease to wash it all but it was perfect in that it wasn't quite as fine so my filters didn't pick it up and it's lovely white colour was just what I was after.

No comments: