April 18, 2016

CICHLIDS AND SALT

I posted a question on a FaceBook community I belong to asking where members stand on the adding salt to your Cichlid aquarium. It's pretty mind boggling. This is what I do... I do a weekly water change of between 30-40%. Once it's complete, just before I clean up and wipe down everything I add salt. But, I only add the salt in the amount needed to replenish the salt from the amount of water I removed.

I've been doing this weekly since the beginning and have had absolutely no issues with my fish getting sick or dying from illness. I've lost one to aggression but that's another post. I began using Cichlid salt, then aquarium salt and finally I've switched to Epsom salts. I've watched countless videos on YouTube about this issue and from what I've read coupled with videos I felt I had things pretty well in hand.

Now I find out that what I'm doing is old news and the old way. I have recently found out that many aquarists don't use salt at all in a regular routine only using it for medicinal purposes. I've also read now, that epsom salts do nothing. It's a huge issue and I will dig deeper to find as much info as I can but for now.. I'm a firm believer in "If it's not broke - don't fix it".

No comments: