April 30, 2016

RE-ARRANGING MY FISH-ROOM

My day didn't begin on a good note. The Yellow Lab that was holding ate all her babies. I had her in a brooding playpen hoping it would be a stress-free place for her to get used to having eggs in her mouth. Nope. Yesterday she spit them out but picked them up again. This morning she was not holding and the eggs were gone. The fry in the tank could have sucked the eggs through the mesh but they are a little young for that so I'm not going to blame them. I put mamma back in the community tank. I have decided that if/when she holds again I'll just let her do her thing in the community tank. She needs the practice more than I need her fry.

My tiny fry and my Auratus mom.


From the left Yello Lab group (20) Mixed Fry (30) 6wk fry (10)
So I decided to re-arrange my fish-room. I had a new 10 gallon which gave me a little more room. The fry that were in my 20 gallon I moved to my new 10. There are 44 fry Albino RedxReds and RedTop Zebras but they are only 6 weeks old so they have some time. Next I did water changes on all my tanks. My Auratus mom is doing really good. I just did a small water change and left her alone. Next I




did a bigger water change on my youngest fry tank. The water was a little cloudy. They are looking good and eating well. Next I worked on my 30 gallon grow-out tank. These guys are getting a nice size and I need to sell them as I'm going to need more room soon. In this tank there are Red Top Zebras, Acei and OB Peacock. I did a 50% water change, vacuumed the substrate and added a little more and them re-arranged their aqua-scape. I think they liked it. While I was at it I scooped up the Pleco in there and transferred him to my now empty 20 gallon. When I was busy doing my water change on my 55 gallon tank, I caught about 8 Yellow Labs that I want to sell and put them in the 20 so it will be easier to catch them when I sell them. That still leaves me a nice little breeding group of 2 males and 5 females.

My fishy work finished for the day I'm happy and my fish are happy... end to another day in the life of a Cichlid aquarist.

No comments: