April 13, 2016

CICHLID GRADUATION

This morning I had some work cut out for me. I was planning on a graduation party of sorts. In my fry grow-out tank I had eight Yellow Labs that were ready to move up to my Juvenile tank. I also had a about four Red Top Zebras that were larger than most in that tank so I decided to move them as well. That leaves me with about 30 Red Top Zebras in my 30 gallon grow-out tank, and two 10 gallon tanks full of fry. The smaller of the two were just spit the other day and the older ones are from three different moms but all close to the same age and size. In there I have more Red Top Zebras, Auratus and Albino RedxReds. I've already sold some from this tank but it nice if they get a little bigger before re-homing them unless they are going right into another fry setup.

To begin with I had to move some juveniles to my adult 75gl to make room for the new juveniles. I moved eight in total. A couple OB's, Yellow Labs and a couple peacocks. Turning out the light and feeding lightly I moved them in. I will leave the light out until supper time and then see how they are making out. From the look of things everyone is curious but no aggression. These juveniles are not the smallest in my adult tank. I have a half dozen Acei in both tanks.. just cause they are cute and get along with anyone. Swimming their little follow-the-leader game through the nooks and crannies.

I had to remove all the rocks and decor in order to catch these quick JJs (junior-juveniles) but I managed without getting too wet. It seems I'm usually walking around with one damp shoulder. Strange how that is eh? It was time to go catch some JJs. Again taking out pretty much everything from the tank I caught the ones I wanted and added them to my juvenile community. I was thinking if they only knew where they were going they would jump in my net themselves! The transition went fine.




Big Al my Albino RedxRed male still resides in my juvenile tank. He's become the poppa of the tank. I will let him stay there as he's gentle and doesn't deserve to be picked on like he was in my African community.

No comments: