April 23, 2016

CULLING THE HERD

After doing my major water change I scooped out the Cichlids that I was going to re-home. We took them to Big Al's an aquarium store in town. Hubby didn't feel like going so I talked him into coming by taking him out for lunch.

I got my pail ready with my bubbler in it and transferred the Cichlids. There were 8 in total. (3 Rusties, 1 Red Zebra, 2 unidentified Mbuna and 2 Red Top Zebras) It's not much you get for Cichlids at the aquarium but it's nice to know you have a place to take them in a pinch. This was just such a pinch. I received $3 for each large Cichlid and $1 for each small one. So my grand total was a whopping $18.00. I was happy enough with that and hope they find good homes. I also returned the cash right back to the store by purchasing a few things I needed. See how that works?

Before we left I noticed my Auratus were getting a little cozy. I knew the one female would be holding by the time we got home. I have a couple breeder boxes but they are in use so while we were out, I got another one. This one's a little bigger and has a divider that I can actually put two in at once. There is another female in that tank as well, who I believe will be holding before the end of next week. Because my Arautus male is so nasty I like to remove the moms so they can have some peace. The few remaining fry from one of their earlier broods will be gone tomorrow so I'm glad I'll have more soon. There was a brood of 30 between but I lost the whole brood during a power outage.

No comments: