April 14, 2016

ROCK'N THE SCAPE

Yesterday I through on my back-pack and headed out with Ozzie my pup for a good hike. We hike the old rail line that's been long removed but it affords us a great path. Just recently it was dubbed the G2G rail trail. It's a nice hike but what I go for is looking for rocks for my aquarium aqua-scapes.

It was a great day for it and I knew just where a wonderful pile of rocks some farmer had the pleasure of pulling from his field was. All around here there are farms and where there are farms there are great rock piles.

We hiked for a while and then on our way back we stop at the rock pile so I can fill my pack. The rocks I lean towards are defined by their colour, shape and size. Colour for the simple pleasure of contrast within my tanks. Shape - what I can imagine building or stacking without too much worry of tumbling down and size I like them to be around the size of a 12" baseball. I also prefer smooth corners and edges. I don't pick sharp rocks for obvious reasons.

I scored this time. I picked up quite a few rocks. I think my pack weighed about 50lbs. I got a couple pink ones, a couple black and white specked ones, white, brown and the traditional granite. A good assortment of colour, shapes and sizes perfect for what I had in mind.

Before I use them I wash them really well using a small hard bristle brush to dig out any dirt or whatever might me on them. I then let them soak in a vinegar bath for about an hour. Then I rinse them under clear water and brush them a second time. As the dirt comes off they look better and better. I'm so pleased with these ones.


My two show tanks are about as nice as I can get them. I'm very happy with my work. It's very amusing watching the fish check out the added rocks, nooks and caves. They dart in, out between the new rocks like it's a new playground. Once they've had a good look then the digging begins.

No comments: