April 29, 2016

DAILY OBSERVATIONS

This morning when I was feeding my 75 gallon Cichlid community I noticed I had another Yellow Lab holding. I was so happy. The other female was holding the day before but spit or swallowed but whatever she did she was no longer holding a few hours later. I was bummed because this was the second time she lost her brood. When I saw the other one holding I got my net and caught her without too much trouble. I checked her and yes she was holding. Not a big brood but enough for her first go at it.

I had plans today so I didn't have much time to fuss with her. I set up a playpen in the corner of my fry tank and put her in there for the day until I could figure something better out. I was gone pretty much all day but she was constantly on my mind. While I was out I picked up an extra 10 gallon tank. I have 2 - 10s one with a holding mom in it the other has my newest fry babies. Then my 20 and 30 gallon tanks are also full of fry so I'm pressed to sell some or take some in to the Aquarium store just to give me more room.

When I got home I was pretty anxious to check on her. I carried the new tank and supplies I purchased up to my fish/sewing room. I plunked all my stuff down and went to check on momma. Guess what? She was in the playpen with all her little eggs around her! She spit them all out! GAH! I wasn't happy at all. I worked on setting up the new tank, moving tanks around to make room and grumbled the whole time about this dumby mommy spitting her babies. Once I had everything set up and tidied up I was considering putting her back in the community and trying to get the babies to live in my tumbler. There weren't many.. 8-9 was all but still a loss. When I looked again - mommy had picked them all back up and had her mouth full again! What a crazy girl! I am hoping she adjusts to this new experience and successfully mothers the few babies she's holding. I have decided for the time being I'm going to keep her in the playpen. I have the new tank set up and cycling but I'm not in a rush to give her more room. We'll see in a few days how she's making out.

As it turns out, the other female that I have holding is an Auratus. She is only about 5 days ahead of the Yellow Lab. I'm planning on putting their fry together. I plan on stripping them both around day 18. That is a good time and has worked for me very well. I don't want either of them spitting. It's been nothing less than an interesting day.



No comments: