May 18, 2016

THE BEST AQUARIUM SAND BY FAR

When I first started in this wonderful hobby I didn't know anything. I purchased a 40gl setup complete with everything from gravel to Cichlids. All I basically did was transfer it from there to here. I was up and running that quick and easy. To begin with I had 8 Cichlids but soon was out looking for more.

My setup had a natural coloured gravel. Looking online I found the most popular for Cichlids was white sand. I wanted white sand too. I didn't like how dark the gravel made my tank look and the fish didn't really stand out against such a drab background. So, I went sand shopping. Not knowing any better and not thinking to ask I purchased fine white sand specifically suited to Cichlids.

Removing the gravel and replacing it with sand was quite a job. I removed everything, shop vacked the remaining gravel out..cleaned out the tank and added my rocks and sand. Once it was all done I really loved how clean and bright it looked. I was sure my fish preferred it as well because they were digging in it immediately.

Not more than a week or two later my HOB filters starting making a lot of noise. Cleaning them out I found the sand was so fine my intake tubes where pulling the sand into the filter and causing my impellar to grind. Not good. Reading, searching and through forums I found that this often happens. I first raised my intake tubes hoping if they were higher they wouldn't suck the sand up. Nope, that didn't work. My fish were prolific diggers and constantly sent clouds of fine sand up into the water.

Next I purchased a coarser sand and again removed my substrate and did the whole big job over again. This time I had no problem. The sand was heavier and coarser not allowing the fish to make clouds for my filter to inhale.

Over time as I have added aquarium after aquarium I have switched to pool filter sand. There are many types but I didn't realize that. I figured it was all pretty much the same. It was affordable and looked just as good as the expensive fishy sand. The only thing was it took some elbow grease to wash it.

Over the weekend I setup yet another aquarium. The place where I've gotten my sand before didn't have it in stock so I went to Canadian Tire. A great store I might add. The sand they had was different. They only had 20lb bags instead of 50lb that I usually bought. The price was right and the sand looked awesome. The stuff I bought before came in a solid bag so I couldn't see what it looked like but this came in a thick heavy clear plastic bag. I could see it was pristine.

I have it now in my newest setup and I have to say - It's the best most beautiful sand I've used thus far. It's actually crushed quartz. Under the lights it has an iridescent quality about it. I took a photo of the bag so when I need more I'll get the right one. Something as simple as substrate can enhance your tank.


No comments: