May 21, 2016

DAILY OBSERVATIONS

This morning I did a water change on my 55 gallon juvenile community. I also moved a few fish into my 40 gallon and some from the 40 into my 75. Trying to keep the sizes uniform for the young ones more so than for the adults.

So I did a complete 50% water change, removed the hard scape in order to catch the ones I was moving, cleaned the glass inside and then rescaped it for them. It took me about an hour and it's done and looks great. However, after a water change I loved to watch the fish settle in and check out their new digs. As I watched I noticed one of my juvenile females is holding. Sheesh.. my babies are having babies. I'm not even sure what she is. I'll have to do a little investigating. I do know who her
mate is. I'll be watching her for about 10 days and then move her into a brooding tank or playpen. I have 3 females holding right now so I'm running out of room. I'm going to have to strip again as I just don't have the room to let the moms have the tanks that long. I just stripped two moms last week so my grow-out tanks are also getting full. If I can't fit them anywhere I'll just have to let them do their thing in the community tank. Let nature takes it's course.

I'm no complaining at all. I love when they breed and produce little ones - remember that's the best sign you can be given that they are happy in their homes.

No comments: