May 17, 2016

DAILY OBSERVATIONS

Preceding me into my Little Fish Room is my cat Finn. He knows my routine and he knows I always give him a couple squares of brine shrimp while I'm feeding my babies. It's pretty bad when you are so stuck in a routine that your cat knows it! Ha!

This is my favorite way to start my day - by saying good morning and feeding my Cichlids. My sick little Kenyi doesn't look any different today. I did soak 3 pellets in salt water and dropped them in one at a time. He ate two so now we'll see if that helps him with his swim bladder problem. I feel so bad for him and I'm sure he's lonely but this seems to take time and I'm willing to give him what he needs. I just hope this is treatable. So far he really hasn't improved much. At least not as much as I had hoped by this time.

On to my fry. The babies I stripped yesterday from my Dragon Blood are doing really great. They are eating and spreading out in the playpen. They no longer huddle in a cluster as they are used to doing in Mamma's mouth. I can't count them all. I took a photo and can clearly count over 40.

Next my Auratus fry and in another playpen in with my 1 month old fry. They are growing like crazy. I am sure they have doubled in size. You don't realize how much they've grown in 4 days until you see them next to the newest fry. It's really shocking. They are fantastic eaters and doing very well.

I continued feeding the rest of my fry. I have to vacuum the substrate pretty much every morning cause there are always left over algae chips melted on the sand. I have one Pleco who lives for those things. The others are too interested in them but they are smaller if that makes a difference.

Coming down stairs I feed my poor starving cats who haven't eaten since yesterday and are sure they are near deaths door by the sound they make! Once they and my pooch are looked after I take care of my show tanks. I begin with my 75gl greeting my Cichlids with as much joy as they greet me with. I alternate feeding them pellets and chips. I have been dropping a few in at a time watching who is eating and then directing food to the ones that are smaller and wait for the bigs guys to get out of the way.

Moving on, I next feed my newbies. The tank looks great. I'm so happy with it. The fellow I got them from told me he never sees is Cichlids. They are always hiding on him. I've noticed any time I approach the tank they shoot for cover and *poof* the tank looks empty. I've never seen this behavior before. My Cichlids are very bold and almost rub noses with me when I sit in front of the tank watching them. Each day they seem to be less and less afraid not ducking out of site like they did the first couple days. I found that odd.

Finally I do the same with my juveniles. I feed them a mix of pellets and chips alternating days. I also feed slowly watching that all the smaller ones get their share. It helps too in avoiding over feeding them. All tank daylights are on and everyone's had breakfast. It's the beginning of a great day!

I think I'll go rock hunting this afternoon. See what I can find since the last of my stash in now in this new setup. As silly as it sounds I love hunting for rocks. I'm quite choosy as well. They have to be a good size, colour, shape... just any old rock won't do!

No comments: