May 4, 2016

DOING THE FISH-TANK JUGGLE

Of all the days to sleep in I pick the day where I have tons of stuff I need to do! I have people coming for fish so I'm going  to be catching fish but first I have to do some water changes.

I did the water change in my juvenile tank first because there are a few Cichlids in there that will be sold today. I needed to catch 4 OB Peacocks and a few Yellow Labs. I took the tank down to 50%, removed the decor and rocks; then caught my fish. I cleaned the glass inside and out, vacuumed and then refilled it. Finishing up with that tank heading up to my fish room was next.

In the fish room I needed to catch 4 Acei and 16 Red Top Fry for one couple that was coming, then I needed 6 Yellow Labs and 4 OB Peacocks for the next couple and finally 2 Yellow Labs for the last couple. This was really a great day for all those fish to be gone.

I was able to juggle my tanks making room for my newly holding moms. In my 10 gallon tanks I have my Auratus mom who I intend to strip after the 14th, my new young Dragon Blood also holding and in the last tank I still have my tiny fry. They are about 1/2" and a month old. From one of the 10s I moved my 2 month old fry into the 30 grow-out where they can stay until sold. The 30 grow-out had a dozen 3 month old Red Tops so I caught them and moved them into my 20 gallon where I have 6 Yellow Labs and 4 OB Peacocks left. I will hopefully sell them this week as I have another young female holding. She hasn't really coloured up so I'm not sure what she is but she's only holding for a couple days. It's her first time so I will let her spit and care for her babies for a few days - until she doesn't pick them up anymore. Once the 20 is empty and the fish sold then I'll move the 1 month old fry into the 20 gallon so I can put this new mom in her own 10 gallon tank. Right now she's in the 30 gallon tank in a playpen. As I was doing all this juggling I was doing water changes on each tank as well. I'm very happy that's done for today.

My juggling is done for now - until the 20 is empty, then it's time for round two. After that I won't have to move anyone too urgently unless I end up with more moms holding. My Cichlids are prolific breeders right now and I see a lot of shivering and shaking going on so I'm sure I'll have more holding soon. I may have to let them spit them in the community tank. It really depends on who is holding. There are some I am still hoping to get a brood or two from. I have a few playpens free so if I have to use them for more moms I can.

This was a very busy day but it was a good one too!

No comments: