May 15, 2016

ANOTHER TANK?

Oh dear.. yes I got another tank yesterday. I was online looking at some postings and ran across one that interested me. This fellow needed to unload 8 Cichlids and was interesting in acquiring a 30gl tank with hood/light. Well, guess what I had all washed up sitting here all clean and empty? You got it. I had a nearly-new, in great shape, no scratches 30gl tank. I acquired two tanks the other day through trading the last of my batch of fry. I got a 40gl and 30gl.

I contacted this fellow and the deal was done. I dropped the tank off and picked up the Cichlids. They are beautifully healthy and nicely coloured as well. I got 2 Cobalt Blues, 1 Yellow Lab, 2 Kenyi and 3 Elongatus Mpanga. I'm very pleased to have these guys. I don't have Cobalt Blues or the Elongatus so that's exciting.

Earlier I set up my 40gl tank and got it running. I had everything, from top to bottom so it was just a matter of setting it up. Hubby helped me with location and moving some furniture. I waited until the temperature was warm enough before adding the Cichlids. I also added 4 of my own that needed to be re-homed. This group fits really well together. So far I haven't seen any aggression but there are lots of rocks and crevasses for all of them to be happy.

The only thing I didn't have was a hood light. I went to home depot to get a few things and made my own. I used a plastic snap-on floor board piece and an LED tape light. Hubby cut the plastic for me. I stuck the tape light to the inside and poof! a hood light for the huge cost of about $30.

The tank looks ok, The only thing I'm not so happy with is the tape light isn't white light. It's more like an old fashioned yellowish colour. I thought that if it said LED it meant white. I'll go check this week and see if they come in the white as well. I much prefer that.

Along with all this fun we also had our two little granddaughters for a sleep over. Morgan asked me "Gramma why do you have so many fish?" 

No comments: