February 12, 2016

EATING AND BROODING

I have been watching my female brooders to see if they eat. I have read that most do not eat as they may swallow their eggs/fry by mistake. I have also read some breeders believe the females will take food in their mouth for their fry to eat. Whether they eat or not it takes a toll on them and they will need a little time to gain their strength back before returning to their communities.

Watching Stella closely there was never a time I saw her eat or even show any interest in food. I would give her a flake or two just in case but she never ate. She's had a few broods now so she knows the drill.

This morning I was watching another M.Auratus holding female in my community tank. When I fed the group she was up there eating with them. I could tell she was struggling with it. It's her first brood so I'm a little concerned she will swallow them while trying to eat. It's not a crisis as they will breed again if that happens and she will learn quickly. I have another M.Auratus brooding female in a brooding tank but she does not eat and it's also her first brood. I'm sure these young girls won't have many this first time around anyway.