February 17, 2016

BUILDING PINEAPPLES

This morning while watching my holding females in the African Cichlid community tank I felt they needed a place to protect their fry. I have plenty of hiding spots but I do want to give them the best chance at surviving that I can. Building them a couple little homes may be just the thing.

In the basement I found a couple clay flower pots. I grabbed hubby's drill, a hole cutter, bit attachments and went to work. I soaked the pots in water before I started drilling. I did the drilling underwater just to keep the dust down and keep it cool. It's quite a long process. You have to go slow and steady without pressing too hard or you risk breaking the pot. Once the holes were drilled it was decorating time.

I used aquarium silicone to attach small river stones all over the outside, sticking some fake plant leaves in between as well. They turned out pretty good. I affectionately call them Pineapples because of their look.

Now I just hope the holding females get to use them before some other Cichlid claims them for themselves. The entrance holes are pretty small so I don't think the bigger fish will go for them. I leave the bottom bare and wiggle them into the substrate up to the river stones. It's fun using your imagination to create sea-scapes in my tanks. I like them all to be a little different.