February 27, 2016

AFRICAN CICHLIDS TANK SET UP

I'm so excited for tomorrow. I'm making some tank changes and that excites me. I'm setting up my 60 gallon tank. First I have much to do before I can even think of the fun part of designing my seascape etc.

Yesterday I picked up the sand I ordered from the Hardware Store. It's pool filter silica sand. Silica sand is probably the most common variety of sand found in the entire world. It has many uses but for me it's wonderful substrate for my aquariums

It's inexpensive, a wee bit coarser so my filters don't suck it up and it looks good as well. It reminds me of Creme of Wheat cereal - that's what it looks like. I bought 2-50 lb. bags at $19.99 each. Very good deal compared to buying Cichlid sand at an aquarium store. I do have some in my smaller aquariums and yes it's lovely but I like this price better and it's just as nice. The only thing is it takes a while to wash it. After a good hour of work the sand is washed and ready.

Next I have to move my pond fish out into another aquarium for the time being. I have oodles of pails and water jugs so I can save the water which I will need to use as I'm putting the pond fish in my 55 gallon tank until they can go back out to their pond. Then my hubby will help me bring the 60gl tank upstairs where I'll wash it really good getting it ready for painting. I'll be painting the back of my aquarium a nice flat black. I find the fish, sand and decor always stand out and look so clean and bright against the black background. I just purchased simple tremclad paint, a couple sponge rollers, a sponge brush for the edges and a little tray. If I get all this done tomorrow I'll be happy.

While I'm doing this, my hubby will be working on the stand. It just needs a few fine touches, new doors, and I'm hoping he'll build me a canopy but I haven't asked him about that yet. He's handy and enjoys tinkering so I'm sure he'll be up for it. Not to mention he has trouble saying no to me. *wink*