June 7, 2016

UPDATE ON MY ICHY SITUATION

About two weeks ago my 20 gallon fry grow-out tank became infested with Ich. This tank is home to my Auratus and my Dragon Blood fry. I went through a 10 day regime of treatment and they are clear. Unfortunately I did lose a few Dragon Blood fry. I don't know why but I didn't see one Auratus fry with Ich and I didn't lose one single Auratus fry.

While I was going through this nasty business with Ich I did a lot of reading about this parasite. I found out that when a fish has been infected with Ich, it will become immune to the parasite itself but will still be a carrier for the sickness if it comes in contact with it. I have still no idea how this parasite got into my tank but it got me to thinking. What if - The Auratus mom carried the parasite - passed it to her fry - who through her became immune and then the Dragon Blood babies got it from them when they joined them in the grow out tank. This seems like a plausible explanation except for the fact that the Auratus mom was only 4 months old or so and healthy. I know her history and her health has always been good. So much for me thinking...

I am just happy to update you on the Ich situation. I got through it! Most of my fry survived and have actually been growing. They are all clear of spots and eat like little horse fishies. I hope I never have to deal with this again but at least I know what to do in that event.

No comments: