June 5, 2016

DAILY OBSERVATIONS

This morning the morning after my water changes, and a little rescaping I noticed some changes within one of my tanks. I have a 40 gallon tank that holds the fish that don't fit into my juvenile community, as they are getting bigger and developing dominant characteristics. They are just a little small for my adult community so they do a layover in my 40 gallon.

I can tell after the changes the heirarchy has experience a slight shift. Or at least some attempts at usurping the tank boss are evident. My German Red Shoulder is quite frayed. He's a mess. If you are into lacy fins then you would like how he's looking. I also noticed my two new Clown Loaches have nips out of their tails and fins. One Clown is in serious shape while the other isn't quite as bad.

In order to catch these three fish I had to remove all the hard scape and plants or go nuts trying to work around it. I've learned it's easier just to clear it from the start and save time.

I moved the Red Shoulder back to my juvenile community. He needs time to heal those shredded fins. The healthier clown I also moved to the juvenile tank. Watching them for a few moments - I think they will do fine there. My juvenile tank in now holding four fish that need some TLC. Kenny is still in there from his rehab after being paralyzed, my Dragon Blood that just had a brood is spending some recuperation time there and now these two additions. It's a really good tank for this purpose. Sometimes I think they heal faster with non-threatening fish with them rather than being all alone.

The other Clown is in my hospital tank with a Pleco that lives in there. In that
tank is the playpen holding the Red Empress fry that mom released yesterday. He is not looking good at all. He was on his back breathing hard so I'm afraid he won't make it. I checked on him a couple times and he'd make an effort to swim right side up..but eventually he'd be too exhausted and be on his back again breathing hard. I've turned the heat up a degree or two and added a little salt but there's not much more I can do. I will have to trust nature to take it's course with him. 

No comments: