June 3, 2016

CLEANING YOUR PYTHON

When I do my water changes I use "The Python". It's a fantastic and helpful siphon that attaches to your faucet so you can remove and replace your aquarium water without lugging pails back and forth. I use it to siphon only at this point. In order to use it to refill I have to pick up a adapter.

I did my water changes in my two show tanks today. Lugging my refill pails from the kitchen to where my tanks are located is a chore. It's not far but still a hassle. I went to the local hardware store to get the adapter today and was told I won't be able to use my faucet in the kitchen. For some reason it won't adapt to the python. I decided to check the main floor bathroom and guess what? It works. I'm pretty happy about that except it's too far for one of my tanks to reach so I will still have to lug pails for one tank. I'm going to look into getting a extra length of hose I can add so my pail lugging days will be over.

I have noticed that my python hose is getting dark spots in it. I'm afraid it's mold because it's next to impossible to dry the hose out between water changes.  Many people have told me it's not a concern and not to worry about it. I decided to clean it today. I mixed a solution of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. I wound up the hose into a circle that would fit inside my 5 gallon pail. Pushing the hose down to the bottom I began pouring the solution over the hose. Once the hose was covered I took the end and sucked the solution through the hose. I stopped just before I got a mouthful of bleach! This was the only way I could see filling the hose with the solution without having air trapped inside. I left it soak like that for a couple hours. Then I repeated the process with clear water, rinsing it through a few times. I then left the pail with the hose wound up in it filled with clear water and I'll let that sit over night and then I will repeat that once more to make sure it's clear. My final step will be to run a good dose of Prime through the hose and that should do it. As it is, now my hose is looking crystal clear and clean. Mold scares me and I am not going to take a chance hurting my fish using a moldy hose. 

No comments: