June 4, 2016

STRIPPING CICHLIDS

Today as I was doing my
water changes I decided it was a good time to move a couple holding moms. One mom was in my 55 gallon juvenile community. She is very young, hardly more than a baby herself. I've been watching her for a couple weeks now. She has really impressed me. Holding her babies well, forgoing food and sticking to a small area of the tank seeking a measure of peace - all things you would expect from an experienced mom. I considered catching her last week but she's so small I figured she would only have a few so I was going to let her spit and do her thing in the big tank. I was a little worried that she may panic and spit her fry if I tried to move her.

Today I did a deeper clean removing the fish and deep cleaning the tank. It really was a perfect time to move her. I caught the fish not really seeking anyone in particular. When I had her in the net, I took her out in my hand to make sure it was her and she spit a couple babies in my hand. I put her in a small pitcher and took her up to MLFR (My Little Fish Room) and put her in a brooding tank I had ready. I left her there with her two babies and went to finish cleaning the tank. I was hoping she would pick them up again while I was gone. As soon as I was finished I tidied up my towels and supplies anxious to go see how she was doing.

When I finally went to check on her I realized she wasn't holding any longer. I looked closely and could see a few fry hiding around the stones I had set in there for cover. I removed the stones and terracotta pot and then caught mom again. I checked her and she spit a couple more fry. They were tiny but free swimming so that gave me a sense of relief. I took her back down to the juvenile community once I was sure she was empty. Next, I went up, took my fry net and started hunting for her tiny fry that were very hard to see against the sand. I caught nine fry. She actually had more than I was expecting. I put them in a playpen in the brooding tank and will watch them closely. I fed and watched them attempt to eat. I hope they will be okay. They are free swimming with no evidence of their yolk sacks but they are definitely the tiniest fry I have had so far.





While I was at it I also caught the Yellow Lab in my adult community. She was bred yesterday. I normally don't move them or strip this early but this girl has a lousy history. She has held three other broods each time losing the entire brood by the fourth or fifth day in. The last time I moved her into a brooding thank on the third day thinking with some quiet she will settle and have her brood. Again a couple days later her babies are gone and she's no longer holding. Today I caught her, stripped her of twenty eggs, put them in a tumbler and put her back into the community. I intend on raising this brood myself. At least I know I won't eat them!

NOTE:  Please excuse the quality of the photos. The subjects just weren't co-operative today! Oh and also excuse my postit note. I have them all over MLFR and usually take them down for photos. 

No comments: