January 18, 2016

WATER CHANGE AND MBUNA LANDSCAPES

I usually alternate doing my water changes. One week I do my New World Cichlid's tank which is 30 gallons; the next week I do my 55 gallon African Mbuna Cichlid's tank. That schedule was my intent but it seems water changes are much less work if you do them once a week so I've changed my strategy.

I did my smaller tank yesterday so today I was doing my Mbuna tank. I gather my supplies, algae brush, vacuum-pump, hose, mini net, pails and a couple old towels and I'm ready. My first step is removing the lids, light, and turning off the filter. Next I use a wonderful 25' hose running it from my tank to my kitchen sink and begin the siphon. I encourage you to get yourself a siphon pump to make the whole sucking thing a non-issue. I let the siphon take about 10 gallons of water out of the tank. That brings my tank down about 3-4". I remove my siphon and grab my trusty vacuum.

My Mbuna Cichlids are very actively digging brooding areas so I'm very careful not to disturb their hard work. If necessary I will move the plants but I leave the stones as they are. I vacuumed the gravel, poking at it just to loosen debris and suck it up. As my pail fills I'm passing my vacuum around the tank picking up any floaters. I sucked up a couple pails of old water.

Now it's time to replace the water I removed. I begin filling the first pail gauging the temperature just with my finger for now. While the pail is filling I brush the glass removing any algae build up. I never do the back wall of the tank. They do like their algae so I leave that for the Cichlids. Mind you, if it gets too bad I will clean it, but not often. Next I take my mini net and run it through the tank catching tiny floating debris. It's amazing how much that little net catches.

One pail is full so I fill the second pail. As the second pail fills I drop my thermometer into the first pail checking the temperature. I do the same with the other pail once it's full. At this time I add Prime to each pail and stir it around good mixing it in.

Double checking the temps of both pails I get ready to pour them into my tank. I slowly pour the water onto the rock formations so as not to disrupt the tank too much. I turn the filter back on and clean the lids, wipe down the light, clean the glass and put all my tools away until next week.


Work's all done. As you can see I didn't disturb 
the landscape and left their excavating alone.