January 12, 2016

SETTING UP YOUR CICHLID TANK

When pursing an interest in Cichlids first you must decide on the size of the tank. It’s only common sense that the bigger the better in this case. Having a larger tank affords you more choices in the cichlids variety and nature as well. It's a natural evolutionary trait for Cichlids to be aggressive when it comes to their territory, food and mates. Keeping that in mind, it's imperative you give them a resemblance of their natural habitat to flourish in.

The most important aspect for a peaceful Cichlids tank is to provide them with enough rock work, arranged so there are nooks, crannies and caves for each fish to make a home in. It’s actually fun designing a layout that is functional for the fish and pleasing to they eye. I do my set up dry on the table first so I can get some ideas before I start building. They never end up exactly alike but it gives me a good foundation to start with.

Because Cichlids like to renovate their homes/territories, it's important to make sure the rocks and other housing materials are secure. I have read that some people glue their rocks together so they don't shift or topple over, perhaps injuring the fish. The rocks I am using are too big to glue but just their size gives them a measure of security. By following these simple suggestions, you can avoid a significant amount of aggression within the tank.



In my 55 gallon tank above, there's still  lots of room to add more rocks which I will do soon. I just need to get more. There's really no point having all that empty space up top that the fish could be using. My Cichlids are doing great, seem to get along, with very little aggressive displays.