July 13, 2016

WANT SOME FRY WITH THAT?

My little fish room is the hub of my home at the moment. I have a surplus of fry. I have one large brood in my 30 gallon grow out that I should have taken to my LFS weeks ago. In my 20 gallon grow out I have a brood of Auratus, Dragon Bloodx, and my Dolphins. Of these I will only keep the dolphins for sure. I haven't decided yet on the others.

Then in my 5 x 10 gallon tanks I have three moms recuperating. I stripped them today. They were bred within a couple days of each other. Two of the moms were bred to my OB Zebra. One is a RedxRed Albino Zebra and the other a Electric Yellow Lab. I'm excited to see what they will colour up like. Both broods were small 16 in one and 17 in the other. The third female I stripped is an Electric Blue Fryeri. She had about 30 fry. In the other last two tanks I have fry.

I've already noticed two more moms holding in my show tanks. I have to curb this breeding or I will be needing more tanks which I have no intention of getting. My plan is to create an all male tank in my 75 gallon. I have at least 6 females in there that I intend to remove and replace with juveniles that I know are male. I may not be able to vent them yet so I may end up with females in the tank until I can tell for sure what they are.

This I think will enable me to be more in control of their breeding, when and with who. I love them breeding and I enjoy all aspects of that entire process but I need to be in control not the cichlids,

I am posting a video on YouTube asking advice on this. I know there are many who have all male tanks. I would like to know how they go about it or do they only purchase male cichlids.

No comments: