August 9, 2016

HAPPY DOING WATER CHANGES

After being gone for a weekend of family camping it's so good to be home. I got up early, greeted my cichlids with their breakfast and began doing water changes. After having my coffee and checking emails, messages and subscriptions I got to work.

I did a water changes Thursday morning preparing them for a good weekend without me. Because they didn't eat over the 3 days we were camping the tanks really did look great. I did my water tests and my nitrate was showing between 20-40 ppm. Not a crucial level but enough to bring on a water change.

I always look forward to working with my fish no matter in what capacity. Today it was changing their water. I began with my Mbuna tank. I was taking the water down by 50% and just refilling it. I cleaned one HOB on this tank as it was due. I
washed the glass on the inside and moved the scape only enough to allow me to vacuum the substrate. It was basically a light clean and took about 40 minutes total.  

Moving on to my Haps and Peacocks tank I did pretty much the same except I switched out the hard scape for the new group of rocks I collected last week at Alvin's junk stone pile. It's really wonderful to have access to awesome stones like this. These stones are not really suitable for Mbunas but they are stunning in my H&P tank.

I finished up just doing a quick water change on my 55 gallon juvenile tank. I removed about 40% of their water and refilled it while I vacuumed. That was pretty much all I did. I was still doing some laundry from the weekend so I had to share my water usage as well.

While working on my tanks I noticed I have three moms holding. Two are in my Mbuna tank and one is my Electric Blue mom... and the beat goes on!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How do you write something like this and lay it with pictures 👍