August 18, 2016

FRY OVERLOAD

It's really been a crazy couple weeks in my little fish room. I have every tank in use and all four of my tumblers are running too. Looking at my furthest along in my tumbler I was able to move one brood into a playpen freeing up a tumbler this afternoon.

I like my fry babies to spend a couple days in a playpen so I can just observe their progress. When the are first out of the tumbler I l keep them in a smaller area then just loose in the tank so I can make sure they are finding the food and eating well. If I just released them it would be harder for those little ones to find food in the 10 gallons than it is in the playpen. After a couple days they are usually ready and I am satisfied, then I release them.



The brood I moved today are Dragon Blood fry. There are 25 healthy babies and they will be joining 27 Dragon Blood babies that are about 5 days older. I'm fine putting fry together but I do like to keep their age difference within 7 days.

I have a couple more moms holding in my Mbuna tank so I'm very happy to have a free tumbler. I don't have room to allow the moms to spit themselves so I must strip them. I like stripping free swimming fry best but having them in the tumbler gives me a little extra time to get things moved around. Love my babies..


No comments: